Hearty Autumn Hotpot|
INGREDIENTS: Butter - 75 g (3 oz), Onions - 2 medium sliced, Carrots - 4 medium sliced, Parsnips - 2 cut into chunks, Cauliflower - 1 small cut into florets, Courgettes - 4 sliced, Tomatoes - 6 skinned, roughly chopped, Plain flour - 50 g (2 oz), Milk - 450 ml, Vegetable stock - 300 ml, Dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp, Salt and freshly ground black pepper, Wholemeal self raising flour - 100 g (3 oz), Baking powder - 1 tsp, Salt - tsp, Cheddar cheese - 75 g (3 oz) grated, Mustard powder - 1 tsp.
COOKING: 1. Melt 50 g (2 oz) butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions, carrots and parsnips and sauté lightly for 5
minutes. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Add the
2. Blend the flour with 300 ml milk and add to the
vegetables with the stock, mixed herbs and seasoning.
Bake at 200C / 400F / Gas 6 for 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place wholemeal flour, baking powder and salt
in a bowl. Rub the remaining butter into the flour until
the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in half the
cheese, mustard and a little milk and mix to a soft
4. Roll out on a floured work surface until 1.5 cm
thick and cut into rounds with a 5 cm fluted cutter.
5. Place the scone rounds on top of the vegetables and brush
tops with remaining milk and sprinkle with cheese.
6. Return to the oven for 20 minutes until scones are golden
brown and vegetables are cooked.