Veal and Ham Pie|
This raised meat pie with a row of hard-boiled eggs at its centre is traditional British picnic food. The hot-water crust should not be allowed to cool completely before lining the tin. Serves 8-10.
INGREDIENTS: Minced veal - 450 g (1 lb), Boiled ham - 110 g (4 oz), minced, Fresh parsley - 2 tbsp, chopped, Ground mace - tsp, Ground bay leaves - tsp, Lemon - 1 zest only, Onions - 2 medium finely chopped, Lard - 110 g (4 oz), plus extra for greasing the tin, Water - 200 ml (7 fl oz), Plain flour - 350 g (12 oz), Egg yolk - 1, Eggs - 3 hard-boiled and shelled, Powdered aspic jelly - 2 tsp, Boiling water - 300 ml.
COOKING: 1. Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4.
2. Grease a 1.4 litre (2 pint) loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
3. Put the veal, ham, parsley, mace, bay leaves, lemon zest and onions in a bowl. Mix well.
4. Put the lard and water in a saucepan and gently heat
until the lard has melted. Bring to a boil, remove from
the heat and tip in the flour. Beat well to form a soft
5. Beat the egg yolk into the dough. Cover with a damp tea
towel and rest in a warm place for 20 minutes, until the
dough is elastic and easy to work. Do not allow the dough
to cool completely.
6. Pat two-thirds of the pastry into the base and sides of
the prepared tin, making sure it is evenly distributed.
Press in half the meat mixture and place the eggs down
the centre. Fill with the remaining meat mixture.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid. Cover the pie
with the pastry and seal the edges. Use the pastry
trimmings to decorate the top, then make one large whole
in the centre of the pie.
8. Bake for 1 hours. If necessary, cover the pastry with
foil towards the end of the cooking time to prevent
over-browning. Leave to cool for 3-4 hours.
9. Make up the aspic jelly with the boiling water. Cool for
about 10 minutes.
10. Pour the liquid aspic through the hole in the top of the
pie. Chill the pie for at least 1 hour. Leave to stand at
room temperature for about 1 hour before removing from