Vegetable and Herb Pie|
The herb used here is fresh parsley.
INGREDIENTS: Butter - 90 g (3 oz), Carrots - 3 sliced, Plain flour - 40 g (1 oz), Milk - 300 ml + extra to glaze, Cauliflower - 1 small broken into florets, Broccoli - 110 g (4 oz), Pearl barley - 50 g (2 oz), Fresh parsley - 2 tbsp chopped, Plain flour - 110 g (4 oz).
COOKING: 1. Pre-heat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6.
2. Melt 40 g (1 oz) of the butter in a saucepan. Lightly
fry the carrots for 7 minutes. Stir in the plain flour
and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, whisking
continuously, until the sauce thickens, boils and is
smooth. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
3. Blanch the cauliflower and broccoli in boiling water for
5 minutes. Drain.
4. Mix the sauce with the cauliflower, broccoli, pearl
barley and parsley. Spoon into a 1.1 litre (2 pint) pie
5. Put the wholemeal flour in a bowl. Add the remaining
butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine
breadcrumbs. Add cold water to mix to form a dough.
6. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 5 cm (2 inches)
wider than the pie dish. Cut a 2.5 cm (1 inch) wide strip
from the outer edge and place it on the dampened rim of
the dish. Brush the strip with water. Cover with the
pastry lid, press lightly to seal the edges. trim off
excess pastry. Knock the edges back to seal and crimp.
Garnish with pastry leaves and brush with milk.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.