Search Britannia
Country Houses Editor: Michael Ford
Britannia Departments
Travel
History
British Life
Shopping
Travel Directories
Reservation Centre
Resource Centre
Hotels, Inns, B&Bs
Castles & Historic Houses
English Country Houses
Cottages & Farm Holidays
Museums & Galleries
Student Travel
City Pages
UK Tourist Boards
Pub Guides
Golf Vacation Links
City & County Guides
National Parks



News Report of Glassenbury Park, between Cranbrook and Goughurst in Kent

GLASSENBURY PARK
A Moated House in a Wooded Park is for Sale

Glassenbury Park

This beautifully situated house was originally built in 1475 for Walter Roberts using materials from the older house it replaced. It was Walter who had the moat dug around the house and enclosed the park. In 1730 a Sir Walter Roberts rebuilt the house with a symmetrical Georgian façade.

The house is constructed of brick with stone quoins under a tiled roof and is crowned by a very large stone-banded chimneystack.

In 1860 Colonel Thomas Walton Roberts enlarged the house for extra comfort and additional living space. The Georgian front was altered in 1877 by Salvin the famous Victorian architect. Then in 1940 Malcolm Atkin-Roberts died and left the estate to his sister the Baroness Nettlebladt thus ending the Robert’s unbroken line of some 700 years of occupancy. They are believed to have acquired the property originally from the Tyllye family, by marriage, in the 13th century.

Some restoration back to the Georgian house took place during the 1950s removing all the Victorian embellishments.

The porch entrance leads into the hall which has its original wood panelling from 1571, a fine stone fireplace with a beautiful carver oak overmantle and the main staircase. The drawing room is a large, light and comfortable room. The dining room has a French door, which leads out onto a terrace. The morning room and the library are both fully panelled with the former having a handsome carved chimneypiece. Other rooms on the ground floor include the kitchen, utility room and breakfast room and there are cellars below.

On the first and second floors can be found ten bedrooms, some of which are wood panelled, a large sitting room and a family room. There are also six bathrooms in the house.

In the grounds there is a converted coachhouse and a stable block as well as two gate lodges.

A stone pillar in the grounds marks the spot where Napoleon’s horse ‘Jaffa’, which he rode at Waterloo, is buried. This fine horse spent its retirement at Glassenbury. Wellington’s horse ‘Copenhagen’ is buried at the Duke’s seat of Stratfield Saye.

The gardens and park are superb and beautifully kept. Water abounds with a series of ponds and of course the moat.

This is a very beautiful Grade II* listed Manor House set in enchanting surroundings in its own secluded valley. It is currently being offered for sale through the agent Knight Frank International at their Tunbridge Wells office. Offers are invited in excess of £8,000,000.



    
  

  Britannia.com    Copyright ©1999 Britannia.com, LLC