Tours > > Southwest Lincolnshire > Ayscoughfee Hall |
Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor
Ayscoughfee HallDay 8 - Today we headed for our next week's destination in East Anglia and on the way stopped at Spalding.
Ayscoughfee Hall dates from 1429 and was built for Sir Richard Aldwyn a rich wool merchant, however many alterations to its structure have taken place over the years.
The house is now used as a museum of local history. It tells, amongst others, the story of the drainage and reclamation of the fens. One room is furnished and preserved as a 19th century gentleman's library.
Other families to have lived here are the Ayscoughs from whom the hall takes its name, the Hall family from 1556, the Wimberleys from 1602 to 1621 and the Evingtons followed by the Walpoles by marriage. Sir John Walpole sold the Hall to John Johnson in 1658 and his family stayed there until 1851.
The gardens form part of a public park and are beautifully kept, a real picture and a credit to the Council.
The museum is owned by the South Holland District Council and is open to the public every day except Fridays from 10am to 5pm.
NEXT STOP: Spalding