Tours > > Southwest Lincolnshire > Crowland |
Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor
Crowland is a small but interesting town where Crowland Abbey was founded by King Ethelbald in 716 on an island in the fens where St. Guthlac made his home. Although his cell was excavated in 1908 the building we see today is Norman, mainly 12th and 15th century. The Abbey church stands amongst the ruins of the rest of the Abbey and is still used by the parish.
A triangular bridge in the town is a curiosity as it was built in the late 14th century to span the confluence of three streams. It is now high and dry with no water anywhere in sight, although it can still be crossed. The carved figure on the bridge came from the Abbey.
NEXT STOP: Peckover House