BRITANNIA
America's Gateway to the British Isles since 1996


 
 
 
 
 
UK Directories
Hotels & B&Bs
Self Catering Cottages
Student Travel
UK Hostels
Tourist Boards
UK County Guides
City Pages
Golfing in the UK
Boating Vacations
UK Museums
UK National Parks
UK Festivals
Colleges & Universities
Pub Guide
Tours >  > Southwest Lincolnshire > Peckover House

Michael Ford, History Editor

Southwest Lincolnshire Country Houses
by Michael Ford, Country House Editor



Peckover House
Day 8 - Wisbech.

Peckover HousePeckover House at Wisbech, just in Cambridgeshire is in a row of attractive and very good individual Georgian townhouses. It was built in 1722 for John Peckover, a Quaker banker, as 'Bank House'. The family remained in residence until it was given to The National Trust in 1943. It is a three-storey, five bay block of yellow brick with red brick dressings. Inside there are some fine plaster and wood rococo decorations.

The garden is amazing being of two acres in the middle of the town but enclosed by a high wall, an absolute haven and beautifully maintained.

The house is open from April to October during 1999 on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays from 12:30pm to 5:30pm.

Here ends our tour of the country houses in the South Lincolnshire area.

Michael and Brenda Ford



Copyright ©2001 Britannia.com, LLC   Questions? Comments!