Britannia Home
Travel Home
Tours

TRAVEL GUIDES
London
Wales
Scotland
Earth Mysteries

TRAVEL RESOURCES
UK Vacations
UK & London Hotels
Travel Directories
Resource Centre
Reservations Centre
Packing Guide
Currency Converter
ATM Locator
UK Weather
UK Phonebook

GUIDE BOOKS
Pitkin Guides
Britain & England
London

TRAVEL SERVICES
Airport Transfers
Car Rental

Tours > Robin Hood's Nottingham > Robin Hood's Larder

Robin Hood's Larder
Birklands

Robin Hood's Larder no longer stands Robin Hood's Larder was a large hollow oak tree where the Sherwood outlaws supposedly hung their venison after having stolen it from the King. They may have attempted to smoke it here. The tree was also sometimes known as the 'Shambles Oak' as this word has butchery associations. It has, unfortunately, disappeared in recent years, having succumbed to the power of the great gales of 1960.

Birklands, surrounding the ancient tree, was the area of Sherwood Forest landscaped by the Dukes of Portland from nearby Welbeck Abbey. It was given lawns, flower-beds and ridings. Robin Hood's Larder stood near the Black Pool where the 6th Duke of Portland erected a quaint log cabin bought at a Russian exhibition in 1884. Being unstable, this was pulled down in the 1950s.

Next Stop: The World of Robin Hood, near Ollerton

Click to review The History of Robin Hood




Copyright ©2001 Britannia.com, LLC   Questions? Comments!   Design & Development Unica Multimedia