Tours > Winchester |
Tour the City of Winchester
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Cheyney Court must be the most photographed house in Winchester. The timber-framed triple-gables are a delight, though the sun is rarely in the right place and the magical wisteria covering only in bloom for a short time. This mid-15th century building adjoins the Priory or St. Swithun's Gate (of similar date) by which pilgrims entered the close having arrived at the King's Gate just outside. It incorporates the Porter's Lodge.
Cheyney Court was the seat of the Bishop's secular power in Winchester, for part of it served as his Court-House. The Bishop of Winchester held judicial power over a large portion of the city in medieval times and continued to do so until 1835!
Next Stop: King's Gate