Tours > Winchester Cathedral |
Tour the Winchester Cathedral
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
The choir of Winchester Cathedral stands immediately below the central tower crossing. This was the place where the monks from the
attached priory would sing their eight daily services and also celebrate high mass.
The area is furnished with a most impressive set of magnificently carved early 14th century choir-stalls. Misericords where monks could
perch their bottoms during long services depict humorous scenes from secular life, while above, delightful characters spring forth from an
enchanted woodland scene: a knight with his sword at the ready, a falconer with his bird of prey. Records even show that the work was
undertaken by a Norfolk craftsman named William Lyngewode! George Gilbert Scott cleverly designed the openwork screen, separating the
choir from the nave, in 1875, in order to blend ancient with modern.
Next Stop: Retrochoir