Tours > Ancient York |
Between Monkgate and Church Street
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Goodramgate runs from Monk Bar to the lower end of Petergate and is one of the main eating areas of York. Restaurants of all kinds line both sides of the street, within ancient buildings, all with a story to tell. Lady Row, built in 1316, is the oldest row of cottages in the city and the earliest example of jettied upper-storey overhangs in the country. Adjoining is the 15th & 16th century church of Holy Trinity Church with its stained glass of 1470 and 18th century fittings.
The area is the site of the old Roman Domus Palatina or Palace House where the Emperor Severus died in AD 211. The present street-name dates from the 9th century when a noble Viking named Guthrum lived there.
Next Stop: Bedern Chapel & Hall