Tours > Ancient York |
Bedern Chapel & Hall
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Bedern is Anglo-Saxon for 'House of Prayer' and the street name refers to the little chapel, off Goodramgate, which once served the Vicars Choral (choristers) from the nearby Minster. Built in 1349, it later became a Sunday School and is currently used as one of the Minster stores.
The chapel was the centre of a large monastic-like complex where the medieval vicars lived and worked. The Bedern Hall is the other main survivor from this establishment: a large 14th century meeting hall and refectory which fell into private hands in the mid-17th century. It is now the guildhall of the city's cordwainers, builders and freemen.
Next Stop: St. William's College