Tours > Ancient York |
St. William's College
In College Street
by David Nash Ford BA, Editor, History on Britannia
Perhaps the most delightful of York's timber-framed buildings, St. William's College in the Minster Close was erected in 1461 as a school for the Minster priests. Much altered in the 16th and 17th centuries, it was later turned into slum tenements and was in a terrible state of disrepair before its eventual restoration at the turn of the century.
Part of the building is now a popular restaurant: very handy for visitors to the Minster. Though not obvious, the inner courtyard is open to the public, as are three of the beautifully panelled upper chambers, when not in use for conferences or receptions.
Next Stop: York Minster