| Tours > Ancient York > De Grey Rooms|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
De Grey Rooms
In St. Leonard's Place
The De Grey rooms, though named after Walter de
Grey, the famous mid-13th century Archbishop of York, were only built in 1841 by GT Andrews. They stand in St. Leonard's Place, sandwiched between Bootham Bar and the Theatre Royal.
Originally the officers' mess of the Yorkshire Hussars, it was later used for concerts and public entertainments. The building is now home to the York Tourist Information Centre: the best place to find out all about the city...other than through Britannia of course.
Next Stop: Theatre Royal
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!