| Tours > Ancient York > St. Leonard's Hospital|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
St. Leonard's Hospital
In St. Leonard's Place
To the right of the entrance to the Museum Gardens sits what remains of St. Leonard's Hospital: a place for the sick and the poor designed to heal ones soul as much as the body. Founded soon after the Norman Conquest, it was once the largest such establishment in the north of England. Originally called St. Peter's and attached to the Minster, it was rededicated by King Stephen after a fire in 1137 and flourished until its final dissolution four hundred years later.
The buildings were later used as a Royal mint, but have suffered considerably over the centuries. Today, there is only a vaulted undercroft with a ruinous chapel above to be seen. Parts can be viewed from without the gardens and just within the entrance, but for close examination head round to the right, past the Multangular Tower and through the door in the circuit wall.
Next Stop: Museum Gardens
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!