| Tours > Ancient York > St. Martin Le Grand|
by David Nash Ford BA,
History on Britannia
St. Martin Le Grand
In Coney Street
Until 1942, St. Martin Le Grand was one of York's largest and most splendid churches: famous for its double-sided Victorian clock and 'Little Admiral'. Sadly, on the fateful night of 19th April, this partly 11th, mostly 14th century building was completely gutted, during a German air raid on the city: its beautiful stained glass exploding into Coney Street.
Thankfully, the finest medieval glass in the city, featuring the life of the church's patron saint, had been removed for safe-keeping, two years before. It was re-erected in a new position in 1961, when the south aisle was restored, with modern fittings, as the church nave. The north side remains a ruin with an enclosed garden. It is rarely open to the public.
Next Stop: Roman Baths
Copyright ©2007 Britannia.com, LLC Questions? Comments!